Football, outings and assorted finery.

Friday 18 June 2010

Winner Stays On - Round 2 (still New Zealand!)




As New Zealand managed to earn their first ever (much deserved) world cup point against Slovakia I get the pleasure of continuing my run as an honorary Kiwi into the 2nd batch of group games.

Prior to the first match I stated that I’d been unable to find any obvious home for New Zealand football fans on the internet. Clearly I just didn’t look hard enough. After concentrating my search around Wellington Phoenix, I stumbled upon the Yellow Fever/White Noise forum. This is quite simply a fantastic site featuring a forum stacked with dedicated and knowledgeable New Zealand football fans.

I was able to get some info from two posters, Oska and a fellow blogger Craig (who posts as Salmon07 on the forum) who kindly answered some questions for me and filled in some blanks on their national team and the football scene in New Zealand.

I’m going to post Oska’s stuff up later as he gave me some fantastic information on Wellington and New Zealand Football along with some great links to YouTube clips, however, Craig’s answers were so comprehensive I’ve pretty much included them verbatim below.

Craig’s answers are in yellow.

 
*****

Do you think you are better or worse off not playing Australia in qualifying? I guess it's a trade off between certain qualification and poorer tournament preparation by playing poorer opposition?

It's hard to say. But I'm certainly loving the opportunity it has presented us with. Any other nation would have taken it with both hands if they had the chance. But I think it's wrong to just write off Oceania. I can see why Australia did what they did. Historically and socially however New Zealand is closer to the Pacific nations than Australia. Our native language, Maori, is close to so many Island languages, we are generous with aid and development programmes, and many Pacific Islanders settle in New Zealand.

A better way of thinking about it is rather than jettisoning a confederation because it's not meeting your needs, why not try and develop the level of competition in your own confederation?

I think it is naive to totally discount the potential of Oceania anyway. New Zealand lost 4-2 to Vanuatu eliminating us from qualification for the 2004 World Cup and New Zealand lost 2-0 to Fiji in the last group game of qualification for 2010. To go to those Islands and play those teams in the stifling heat, on hard pitches with their physical and intimidating style wouldn't be as easy as it seems. I'd like to see some of the EPL millionaires try it!

The game in Oceania is coming along very quickly-It will surprise many to know that A New Caledonia club side, Hekari Utd, won the OFC Champions League and will represent Oceania at the next Club World Cup. That experience will do wonders for the game in New Caledonia. (On the subject of the Club World Cup, despite the fact that they are not my team Auckland City had a strong showing last year; beating the hosts Al Ahli, and the African Champs TP Mazembe of Congo, a stunning achievement for a semi-pro club)

But yes, I wouldn't be against a slightly different approach to WC qualifying for Oceania. Maybe the Oceania winners could join an Asian qualifying group in the fourth round, and the top three go through? I don't know

Do you agree with having to be involved in a play-off after winning your regions qualification?

Yes, that helped galvanise support and gave people a sense of the momentousness of the occasion. It started the momentum of knock out football which has shown in the way that the All Whites are competitive for 90 minutes, in a way which we never used to be.

The play off win was one of the greatest games of football on New Zealand soil. The All Whites won many fans that night.

Has the shine been taken away from the OFC Nations Cup as only NZL and AUS have won it (4 each)?

It's certainly not a competition which gets too much of a following, in fact winning it is seen as just another step towards qualifying for the Fifa World Cup, which is the mean prize. It's not like New Zealand goes around with four stars above its crest every time it plays an Oceania game. But it is also a ticket to the Confederation's Cup, and given how little New Zealand plays in big tournaments, the more experience we can have playing at them the better.

New Zealand played quite poorly at the last Confederation's Cup, well below their potential. However we did give a second string Italy a shock, scoring 3 goals against them- no matter what anyone says about the strength of that team there are not many nations who put four past Italy! And of course we picked up our first ever Fifa tournament point there with a 0-0 draw against Iraq. The wild celebrations from the New Zealand bench were seen by some as being crass, but Ricki Herbert knew what that point meant, especially in the context of building towards South Africa 2010.

What was the reaction like when you got your 1st ever WC point?

Well, I can't speak for the rest of New Zealand but it has really seemed to grab people's imaginations. We’re currently equal on points with the World Champions! We are such a sporting nation and we love success. As for me I was watching at home with some friends. I was actually kind of dozing off as the game wound down, and was thinking, "oh well, a well fought battle and an honourable defeat" and then Smeltzy crossed in that great ball and in a flash Reid was up and it was in. With only a minute to go I knew that was it. I jumped up and was kind of crying with out tears, rolling on the floor- I took my shirt off. There was something about knowing how much it meant to New Zealand, to football, how important that result was- Here we are on the world stage at last. The looks on the faces of the Slovakia players told you everything about how important that goal was. I had to have some Rescue Remedy to calm down to get to sleep, and I was a wreck at work the next day, but I never stopped smiling all day. Joy.

What was national expectation before the tournament?

It differs from fan to fan. Most people are realistic, or even slightly pessimistic. There was a great upsurge in interest in non football fans and I think some long term fans were afraid that we'd get humiliated and then all the Rugger fans would enjoy the schadenfreude. But we know now that this team has got enough heart and soul to stay in touch in the next two games. I think generally most pundits were saying one point and one goal, well, we have that now, what’s the next step? I personally think we could sneak a draw Italy its Paraguay I'm worried about!

Do New Zealand home games generate a good atmosphere?

Generally, yes. Even more so now that the Yellow Fever fan site is up and running. It's a great forum to coordinate pre match meet ups, chants and songs, and props etc (no blow up sheep though please). It is a different type of crowd from your average rugby crowd, and that's what gets people excited, they can't believe that people sing whole songs! However there is a slightly annoying parochialism in NZ football about where the home is; Auckland or Wellington, frankly I find it rather tiresome. It means that some prematch discussion can descend into baiting between the different sets of fans- it’s not a large number, but its noticeable. True fans will travel anywhere in the country, and beyond, to see their team.

Is New Zealand football growing in popularity and gaining fans from sports like Rugby League, Union and Cricket?

I would say yes. Junior numbers are on the rise, Women's football is taking off. In Wellington there are not enough parks for all the teams. In saying that most New Zealanders are sport lovers full stop, and will follow the rugby, league, netball, football, any sport if it's got a silver fern on it.

I think some administrators of other codes are worried, but why should they be? Competition's is good, it makes you lift your game and examine the product. Some people might baulk at the use of that word, 'product', but realistically that's what elite sport is- it's a product which should entertain you- why bother parting with your cash if it doesn't. Critics of rugby have been saying for a while that it doesn't entertain. Football is filling that vacuum for many Kiwi sports fans. It was just announced today the Phoenix season memberships are selling at 200 a day, that is unheard of.

What’s the atmosphere like at Wellington Phoenix games, presumably you won't get many away fans?

It’s great. The Westpac Stadium, or the 'Ring of Fire', is essentially a cauldron and the noise just echoes right round. The Yellow Fever take up a few blocks in the South end and chant away like mad, and take their shirts off if the 'Nix are winning at the 80th minute. They say that the Westpac Stadium is an egalitarian ground, designed so that no seat is that much better than any other, and so you do feel close to the action (despite it being designed more for Rugby. We don't get many away fans but they usually make contact through the forum and come along to the pub before hand. There's no real animosity- its not the Kiwi way.

With so many players plying their trade abroad do you get to see as many friendlies at home as you would like?

Yes, but its not going to happen-unless we can lure the like of Ryan Nelsen back to New Zealand to play for the Phoenix. I was just thinking before the World Cup that before last year I had seen New Zealand play maybe a dozen times, now in the space of a year I have seen them play double that.

Who are you tipping to win the entire tournament?

Before the World Cup I would have said Spain or Brazil now having seen them play I am not so sure, although you'd never write off Brazil For that very same reason I am picking Germany who did a stellar job in dismantling our old chums region Australia.

*****

Thanks very much to the guys for the info.  I'll do my best to get the additional content from Oska up prior to the next game.  I wish the All Whites fans the best of luck for forthcoming match against Italy and I'll be keeping an eye on the Phoenix from now on.

To borrow a tired old cliché, the form book really does seem to have been thrown out the window so far in this tournament. I’m wondering if New Zealand might even sneak another point on Sunday? I certainly hope so, either way I’ll be supporting the All Whites for as long as they stick around in South Africa, you could say they’ve won me over.



2 comments:

  1. So you go and publish my tip for Germany to win the World Cup and they stumble against Serbia overnight! I renege and pick Argentina now! Its the underdog's right to be fickle.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's confusing, none of the big guns seem to be able to maintain any consistency... apart from England who've looked mediocre in both games!

    ReplyDelete