Football, outings and assorted finery.

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Cliftonville V CSKA Sofia

Much like my last trip to Windsor Park earlier this month, both clubs share some similarities; both have the nickname “The Reds”, both finished second in their domestic leagues last season and both have a definitive place in their countries footballing history. Cliftonville is the oldest club in Ireland at 131 years old and Sofia hold the Bulgarian record for most league titles with 31.

Unfortunately Solitude doesn't meet UEFA regulations so Cliffs had to play at IFA Premiership rivals Linfield’s Windsor Park. Given that the 1st leg ended 3-0 to CSKA in the Bulgarian Army Stadium it was always going to be a tough night in the Europa League 3rd round qualifier for the Irishmen and much like the Linfield squad they are all Irish / Northern Irish.



I arrived at the ground just a few minutes before kick off and was searched on the way in by stewards being overseen by the police (armed, as all PSNI officers are). Indeed in the main stand I could see just as many police as I could stewards. I don’t know if this was due to any reputation the Bulgarians may have or to be on the watch for any sectarian trouble from the travelling “home” fans. Either way I didn’t see any bother before, during or after the match.

In stark contrast to the Linfield game, no music was being played across the tannoy, the burger van had no queue and the main stand was practically deserted. Other than the “suits” in the reserved area I counted 25 fans in the main stand. As it turns out my choice of the main stand was turned out to be a lucky bonus but more of that later. The West stand had also been opened and at a guess I would say 200 fans made the effort and did generate plenty of noise during the game. On the way to my seat I did pass the away fans, none of them had flags out which was a shame as it always good to see what “colours” people bring to games, especially from teams you don’t see week in week out.



During the 1st half you wouldn’t know about the supposed gulf in class between the two sides, perhaps CSKA were comfortable with their lead but Cliftonville always seemed up for it. After weathering an early storm (post and a rocket off the crossbar) Cliffs really got the game going with a great goal just before half time. A delightful back-heel put Liam Boyce into the box, he held off the defender on his shoulder and rifled beyond the Bulgarian keeper. Reading about the game afterwards it seems that Celtic and Doncaster Rovers had scouts at the game to watch Boyce and he certainly will have given them something to write about in their reports.



As always happens in these situations the whistle went just as Cliffs seemed to be in ascendance and the half time raffle draw was drowned out by the crowds din with an atmosphere of that dangerous mix; hope turning into nervous expectation. From my point of view my half time entertainment was provided by the old men shuffling passed me to go to the toilet. On their way back the raffle had ended and “We speak no Americano” by “D Cup was playing over the speakers, one of the men said to me in all seriousness “here look at this, they are playing some Bulgarian music for them” and his mate chipped in “what ever it is, it’s shite!”. I didn’t bother pointing out its high UK chart position as I was too busy stifling a laugh.

Both managers must have done their job during the team talks as Cliffs came out in the same mood but CSKA looked much happier on the ball after their scare. The next 20 mins or so was mostly middle of the park stuff neither side breaking forward but then the ref did two things I considered noteworthy. One of the CSKA players went down under a very light tackle and to use a commentator’s favourite phrase could have been nominated for an Oscar. He was taken off on a stretcher; jumped straight up and signalled to the 4th official he wanted back on. The ref saw the wave, and ignored him. The CSKA coach was now going nuts on the touch line but I swear the ref made eye contact 3 or 4 times and just made him wait a good while before getting back on. I hope sort of thing continues, I’m fed up defending football to people regarding diving especially when 90% of the time they are right! Any form of disincentive for the players gets my vote.

The second thing the ref did was give Donaghy a yellow card (correctly) for shirt pulling on the hour mark. Two minutes later, in a move I’m sure he will regret, Donaghy gave the ref some back chat and the 2nd yellow and the red came out. Letter of the law the ref was right in both cases and Cliffs should have no complaints other than the inconsistency of other refs who may not have given one or both of those cards.

I don’t want to lay the blame of what happened next on one man however it has to be said that the heads went down from that moment and it showed over the next 20 minutes of playing with a man down just became too much. CSKA struck on the 85th minute with a sublime long shot that wouldn’t have given any keeper a chance. A few minutes later and an unlucky back-pass allowed a second to end the match with a 1-2 loss and for Cliftonville and for them to go out on aggregate 1-5.





When I was speaking to Russ about this match before the game he said I should look out for Jim Boyce (Cliftonville and Irish Football Association President) as Jim worked with Russ’s dad a few years ago. In the afore mentioned “suits” I spotted Jim (Google images confirmed) and so nearing the end of the game I approached their boxed in section of the stand. I asked if I could speak to Jim and he was more than happy to have a word, even more so when I mentioned the Glencross association. We had a nice chat and in what will be a major coup for a blogging site Jim has kindly agreed to answer some questions for us (by fax as he doesn’t do email) so keep an eye out for this in the future.



I don’t think anyone before the game thought that the Irish Reds could go through but they played their absolute best for 60 minutes and for 22 of those, one of the best European results in club history was on the cards. It was a real pleasure to be part of that kind of atmosphere and I look forward to seeing Cliftonville again this season when I will ensure I get a trip to Solitude.

To coin another often used phrase; CSKA Sofia march on, but given that stands for Central Sports Club of the Army it is perhaps very apt in this case.

1 comment:

  1. Cliftonville now have the all clear to play European matches at Solitude now

    ReplyDelete