Football, outings and assorted finery.

Tuesday 10 August 2010

'Thou shalt love Neil Harris'

At the time of writing the feature on the Neil Harris testimonial game (Millwall v Hearts pre-season friendly) I thought it would be interesting to get some further insight on Neil by speaking to a Millwall fan.  The only issue with this idea was that I struggled to think of any I actually knew.  Sure, there's the guy who sits in the Tynecasle's main stand enclosure who insists on wearing a Millwall cap and occasionally a replica shirt to every Hearts home game (affectionately known, to me at least, as 'Millwall') but we're barely on nodding terms. An interruption during a hotly contested match with a request to answer some questions for my blog would not really have been in keeping with the nature of our relationship. Furthermore, as interesting a character as I'm sure he is, he's not exactly a well known name.  No, he could keep his South London head wear and Captain Morgan sponsored football shirt, I preferred to put in a request to the well known Millwall fan and probably Britain's premier musical wordsmith Scrooobius Pip via his facebook group.

Trying to categorise any music is an appalling task, but, for those who are unaware, dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip could probably be fairly accurately described as a hip-hop duo combining electronic beats with spoken word lyrics. Despite their busy schedule, which currently seems to involves near relentless gigging and European travel Pip, as an avid Millwall fan, kindly agreed to spare me a few minutes and answer the questions I'd emailed him.  

He also sports once of the finest beards since Geoff from Byker Grove.



Pip, firstly thanks for talking to us. Can you tell me your favourite memory of Neil Harris in a Millwall shirt?

I think its the same as many peoples. It was after Neil had come back from his battle with cancer and scored his comeback goal. As the ball was getting near the box you could tell every millwall fan and player wanted Neil to score. The reaction when he did was amazing. The rest of the players lifted him and carried him over to the jubilant fans. A very emotional moment.
Are there any goals of Neil's which really stand out in your mind?

The one above I guess! Neil always tends to have a way of popping up and getting the important goals so alot of them stand out (particularly those against Leeds...)!
Neil has become at cult hero in his two spells at Millwall. Was there any indication that he'd turn out to be such a successful signing in his early appearances for the club?

I think he always looked sharp. For some reason he reminded me of when we got Greg Berry. Both had come from or had links near to where I live in Essex and both seemed to have a great understanding of the game. Greg didnt QUITE become the Legend that Neil did though....haha. In his early days Neil always looked like he had potential but i dont think anyone could have predicted him beating Teddy Sheringham's record and becoming such an icon for us. It took a season or two for that to start to look likely.

Were you disappointed when Dennis Wise saw him as surplus to requirements a few years ago and brought his first spell at Millwall to an end?

I was yeah. After everything he had given to the club it was tough. Having chatted to some Forest fans recently it was interesting to hear that they felt he was a good player but his heart was still at Millwall. When there is that much of a connection with a club it can be tough to go anywhere else. Every season when there is talk of Gerrard leaving Liverpool I always feel that, whilst he would probably be great at another club, something would be lost without the kop behind him. The relationship between the fans and some players can have a huge influence on things.

Similarly, were you excited about his return to Millwall for a second spell, or was there part of you which feared the fond memories of his successful first spell with the club could be tarnished should things not work out?

I never felt they would be tarnished but you just didnt know, at the time, if that form could come back. Everyone gets older. Even then though I believed that, if Harris had lost his pace or anything like that, he could still do great for us in a slightly deeper "Scholes" type role. His motivation, passion and thinking were always going to have a place at The Den.
How does Neil rate in terms of your all time favourite Millwall players or Millwall cult heroes?

He is right in there! I can never decide upon who would be my top players. In the skill and quality area you look at people like Teddy Sheringham and Tony Cascarino. In the passion and Millwall spirit area you have to look at Terry Hurlock and Keith Stevens. Neil manages to straddle both of those catagories which makes him hard to beat!

Given your busy schedule, how often do you make it along to games nowadays?

Its hard to get down The Den! Last season I made it to around 10 games i think. 6 or 7 at home and 3 or 4 away. If I'm not gigging and we have a home game, I'm there! This season Dan and I are going to be taking some time off from gigging so I should be able to make it down to even more games!

I believe there was a campaign to get 'Thou shalt always kill' played before games. How did you feel about that? Has your success brought much official contact with the club/players?

Haha, it was great! I'd love to have our songs played before the games. Its been great to have some professional connection with Millwall over the last few years. Every chance I get, I try and push positive coverage Millwall's way. I did a short piece for the BBC League show last season and regularly pop up on Soccer am in my Millwall shirt! Through those things it seems known that I am a fan so I have got to meet and befriend some of the staff and players. Infact, for the BBC thing, I interviewed Mr Neil Harris himself. Great fun.

Pip on Soccer AM 

Following Millwall's promotion last season, they'll be playing at Championship level this term.  What are your hopes for the coming season?

I'm very positive about it all. I think we can really have an impact this season. We are a club that have relied alot upon passion and drive. With last seasons promotion the fans are going to be all the louder and the players all the more motivated so that really can make the difference. It will still be tough of course, but I think Millwall will surprise alot of clubs.

From a musical point of view, when can we expect the release of your 3rd album?

The third album is going to be a fair way off but it will come! We finish touring in november and will take some time off then get working on it!

Are you working on any additional projects?

That is part of the plan actually! We both have a few side project ideas that we are planning to work on at the start of 2011. Then we will get back into le sac vs pip mode with fresh minds and drive!

Do you still find the time to do library tours and spoken word performances?

The library tour was great fun! Definantely something I would do again. I still get to do spoken word gigs every now and then but I intend to start hitting a few open mics nights up in the new year to try and work out some new material.

You have a number of gigs lined up in August (including a night in Edinburgh on the 24th at The Liquid Rooms). Is there anywhere you are especially looking forward to playing?

August is actually one of our quieter months but the shows we do have scheduled are great. Edinburgh is always good and we have Lowlands festival in there too which is a favourite of ours! Its all really gearing towards our October/November tour! That is going to be insanely exciting. Its probably our last UK tour for a year or so. We want to go out with a bang!



Thanks again to Pip for answering all our questions. You can check out the dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip tour dates here.

No comments:

Post a Comment