Football, outings and assorted finery.

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Dave's Football Travels...

I can't claim to be a walking encyclopaedia on the subject of football. I'm put to shame by the World (or even Scottish) football knowledge of the guys I follow on twitter and I'm left in a combined state of awe and bafflement by blogs such as Zonal Marking.

Despite this, I utterly love the game and spend far too much time procrastinating over it. I've always been fascinated by everything from the matches themselves to the associated culture. From the cult heroes and the sights and smells of the stadiums, to the terrace chants and the obscure shirt sponsorships, I most certainly err on the geekier, more obsessive side of football fandom (my wife would confirm this, perhaps in slightly stronger terms).

It is for this reason that (whilst I haven’t done much of it myself) I’m enthralled by the concept of ‘ground hopping’ and seeking out any football grounds within a particular area one happens to find oneself. I discovered the Football Ground Guide website a number of years ago and it’s still a site I visit fairly regularly. Similarly I could read Danny Last’s European Football Weekends for hours on end thus providing myself with a window into far flung or slightly unusual footballing destinations.

Recently, through Twitter, I became aware of another blog, Dave’s Football Travels, which documents one man’s perpetual journey to as many games as humanly possible. This includes everything from Scottish non-league games played on glorified public parks, to internationals against the World Champions played out in front of a packed national stadium.

Dave is particularly interesting as he often attends games at some of the UK’s most obscure outposts and has addtionally recently been elected to the board of directors at Livingston FC acting as a representative of their supporter's trust. This undoubtedly allows him to see both sides of the coin, acting in an official capacity for his club whilst ultimately remaining a fan of the game at all levels.

A lot of people look towards ground hoppers or fans like David with disdain. Personally I’ve never thought that way. What better way to see different locations and possibly broaden one’s horizons than through watching football?....(another point on which my wife and I probably disagree).

Thankfully Dave was happy to answer a few questions on his Livingston FC, his role on the board and his ongoing football travels.

*****

I have it on good authority (from a Livi supporting colleague) that you were originally a Meadowbank Thistle fan.  Were you always in favour of MTFC’s proposed move out of Edinburgh and the associated formation of Livingston FC?

I was in my teens at the time of the move, so I can't claim to be really involved in the politics of the move.  I was never much of a fan as Meadowbank Stadium as a place to watch football matches, even though it was very local to me at the time, so the prospect of a new place to call our own appealed.  In an ideal world it would have been great to see Meadowbank Thistle playing in Livingston at a new ground but I've got the next best thing.

The formation of Livi came just before my family moved back to Edinburgh, however, I understand a lot of Thistle fans were opposed to the move/renaming. Is it fair to draw a parallel by drawn between Livingston/Meadowbank and the situation with Wimbledon/MK Dons?

I can see the similarities obviously, but the key difference for me is that the 'new' Livingston were fairly recognisable as the 'old' Meadowbank.  My understanding of the MK Dons situation is that they more or less became a new club overnight (or over a close season) with a whole new infrastructure, whereas that wasn't the case with us.  We had the same manager, same players, same backroom staff, even the same home ground for a while so it wasn't difficult for me, personally, to relate to Livingston as my team.  My view is quite strongly that Livingston are a continuation of Meadowbank Thistle and Ferranti Thistle and that all three are the same club with a common lineage.  It's interesting you haven't mentioned Airdrie United and Clydebank, which for me is a much clearer example of 'franchising' in Scottish football.

Livingston have enjoyed periods of success since their formation but this does appear to have come at a cost.  The club has suffered two separate spells in administration resulting in relegation to the bottom division.  Now that the club is working its way back through the leagues are you confident that the current custodians can rebuild the club successfully without repeating the mistakes of previous regimes?

I think there's a greater realism within the current regime.  While the current board has aspirations for the club to play at the highest level possible, we know our limitations.  I don't see us getting ourselves back into the SPL anytime soon, unless there's some fairly major league reconstruction, but we can be an established First Division side again.  The key thing is rebuilding the confidence of the local community, both in terms of local businesses and the general public.  We're not there yet, but I think the club has made some progress over the last year or so.

All Scottish clubs are all, to some extent, affected by the overwhelming dominance of the Old Firm.  Do you feel the growth and development of Livingston FC is finite and to what extent do you think the club can expand whilst still being run sensibly?

I think there's still potential.  At one point we had around 3-4000 regular attenders, whereas now we have a bit over 1,000 so if we can get some of these people back then we can grow.  Seeing large numbers of Celtic and Rangers supporters in and around our town can be a bit disheartening at times, but we've got a terrific core of dedicated supporters and if we do things properly we can increase that core.

What has been your most memorable moment supporting both Meadowbank and Livingston?

I've been watching the club for about 22 years now, so there are plenty of great moments.  It's difficult to see past winning the League Cup in 2004 to be honest; that was something that I would never have dreamt that we could achieve. I don't expect us to see it again in my lifetime, so it was very special.

You sit on the board of directors at Livingston FC.  How did this come about and what does your role entail?

I was elected in January 2010 to represent the Livi for Life Supporters Trust on the board, which is a tremendous honour and privilege. I have a full time occupation, so I do what I can in different areas bearing in mind time constraints.  I tend to deal with the club's media output but have chipped in with other projects like getting the club merchandise operation back up and running.

How much of your time does your directorship at Livingston command.  Has it curtailed much of your other football related activities?

A fair bit - I tend to spend part of every day working on club related business to some degree. My 'real job' reduces the time available, but Livingston FC is something I have a passion for so I don't find the extra workload a chore.

Do you have any aspirations to work in sports administration on a full time basis?

You never say never but it's not something I've ever aspired to.

I initially became aware of you through your blog Dave's Football Travels.  This documents your visits to various football grounds and acts as a record of all the games you attend.  Have you always attended as many games as possible or is this a recent hobby?

I've always enjoyed watching football, ever since I was a kid, and although it's mainly been manifested in watching Meadowbank and Livingston, I like to get out and about to see different places and watch other teams. I much prefer watching football live and with a few exceptions don't tend to watch much televised football.  It's just not the same.

You have seen around 47 games already this season.  What’s been the stand game out so far?

I've enjoyed a few of our games.  As well as our first team, I take in the reserve and Under 19 games and our young players are a joy to watch.  For the overall experience, I'd have to say that Scotland v Spain at Hampden was the best of the 47 games to date though.  You can't beat Hampden when it's full and for once the team put on a decent show.

What is the highest number of games you've managed to attend during a single season?

106 last season.

What does your ‘number of grounds visited’ tally currently stand at?  Are you one of these people (like me) who tends to seek out the local side's ground on foreign holidays?

I've got 158 listed on the blog and that's likely to be quite accurate, although I've only been keeping a proper track over the past three or four seasons.  I do go sniffing about whilst on holiday, much to the disdain of the other half - this year I managed to come across the football ground in Port de Pollensa in Majorca but didn't get to see a game.

Do you prefer an afternoon at a smaller game attended by a group of die-hard fans (such as a non-league or a junior match) or a top quality encounter played in front of a packed stadium?

I prefer football in person first and foremost.  'Top quality football' isn't always top quality.  There are plenty of crap games in the English Premier League or the SPL.  For value for money and entertainment value junior football is excellent and I'm lucky that there's plenty of it to see in the area where I live.  The individual skill level can be lacking, but you always get commitment from the players.  Generally, I like to see two well matched sides giving each other a test.

You attend a large number of non-league matches.  Would you be in favour of a pyramid structure allowing non-league senior clubs playing under the SFA banner to have a direct route into the Scottish Football League?

I think so, but the costs involved in SFL membership mean that, as it stands, 'promotion' isn't hugely attractive for the top junior or non-league clubs.  SFL clubs are bound by legislation and regulation and I think some of that would need to be relaxed a little to make a pyramid system work. You would definitely need to have an all-encompassing pyramid system as well, with junior and amateur clubs all involved.  In England it's possible for a pub team to progress right through to the Premier League if they are good enough (and have facilities in place) and it's that kind of meritocracy Scottish football should aim for.

What is your favourite football ground that you have visited?

Tough one.  I love Hampden.  In no particular order other favourites are: Brunton Park (Carlisle), Palmerston Park (Queen of the South), Newtown Park in Bo'ness and Benburb's Tinto Park.

Have there been any clubs you’ve visited which have stood out for being particularly friendly and welcoming?

I'm fortunate to be invited into boardrooms through being involved with Livi and I'd have to say that the hospitality of clubs in the Second and Third Divisions is excellent across the board.  Lots of genuine football people.

What is the most unusual/remote location in which you’ve watched a football match?

I went to Northern Ireland for a break last year and ended up watching Chimney Corner play Larne in a pre-season friendly, which was fairly random.  In Scotland, I realised an ambition by making it to Steelend Victoria's Woodside Park last season (by public transport no less) and it's certainly an outpost.

Generally speaking, how do people react to your football obsession and ground hopping?

With a mixture of bewilderment and pity!


*****

Many thanks to David for his input.  I wish him the best of luck for his role at Livingston FC and hope that he continues to enjoy his busy footballing schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment